I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please view my affiliate page for more info.
this post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link to a product that I have recommended, there is a chance that I may earn a commission, at no cost to you, from your click or purchase! if you would like to read more, my policies are here. thanks!
So, I have wanted to redo my bedroom for the longest and in November + December of 2018 I finally decided that I was going to do my research, figure out what look I was going for, make a color palette, and turn my visions into reality. I have always loved designing rooms and finding furniture online, even from a really young age. That said, I had a blast planning out my new room and loved every second of every minute that I spent doing so.
Right off the bat, I knew I wanted a room with the following attributes:
bright | fun | cute | preppy | modern + glam | classy | sophisticated
…all of that with a hint of boho, vintage + retro! I know it looks like a ton of categorical words that can’t all possibly be in one bedroom. But, when I know what I want, I get it. Trust me. 😉
I also no longer wanted any black in my room. Because prior to my bedroom redo, I had a 4-poster bed that was black, a black shelving unit (from IKEA, that was good for organizing, but eventually started looking childish, lol), 1 black nightstand, a black console table, no desk, and a black window valance (that is still there but getting replaced asap). And while black will always be one of my favorite colors, especially to wear, I wanted a more “upbeat” room, if that makes sense?
To make sure I had a little bit of everything that I wanted in my room, I grabbed my MacBook Pro and opened up [eafl id=”9168″ name=”pinterest” text=”my Pinterest”], Hayneedle, Wayfair, Joss + Main, and Havenly and started gathering images for inspiration.
Soon after, I had made up my mind on the colors that I wanted to go with for my room…
eggshell white + light pink with a (very small) hint of gold
The colors I chose for my room were really important to me, in that I really do believe in the psychology of color and their benefits (and lack thereof). With that being said, I chose white, light pink (with a few pops of other pink shades), and a small dose of gold for the following reasons —
luckily pink is one of my favorite colors, so when I started brainstorming and researching color ideas for my room, I was super happy to find that pink —
- is intuitive and insightful
- shows tenderness and kindness with its empathy and sensitivity
- is a sign of hope
- is a positive color inspiring warm and comforting feelings, a sense that everything will be okay
- calms and reassures our emotional energies, alleviating feelings of anger, aggression, resentment, abandonment, and neglect
- studies have confirmed that exposure to large amounts of pink can have a calming effect on the nerves
- puts people in touch with the nurturing side of themselves, through either the need to receive or the need to give
- can signify good health, being ‘in the pink’, and success as in ‘everything’s rosy’
- represents the sweetness and innocence of the child in all of us
- is the color of uncomplicated emotions, inexperience, and naiveté
- can also remind you of earlier childhood memories, associated with nurturing and comfort from your mother or a mother figure
positive keywords being:
- unconditional and romantic love
- compassion and understanding
- feminine and intuitive energy
white has always been a beloved color of mine. I think it’s so classy + simple, yet it’s also so bold and powerful. At least it is to me. And please do not come for me if you’re one of those anti-white people, because this post is about bedroom colors, not whatever else goes through your mind when you see the words white and powerful next to each other.
The color white…
- is a bright and brilliant color
- is associated with light, goodness, innocence, purity, and virginity
- is considered to be the color of perfection
- means safety, purity, and cleanliness
- usually has a positive connotation
- can represent a successful beginning
- depicts faith and purity
- is associated with coolness and cleanliness
- affects the mind and body by aiding in mental clarity, promoting feelings of fresh beginnings and renewal, assisting in cleansing, clearing obstacles and clutter, and encouraging the purification of thoughts and actions
love gold. And while I have recently begun to really like rose gold, gold has always been super stylish and unique to me. I used to hate it, because I thought it was weird and felt as though it clashed with everything. But then I grew a brain, lol 😉
That said, gold…
- is the color of extravagance, wealth, riches, and excess +shares several of the same attributes of the color yellow
- is a warm color that can be either bright and cheerful or somber and traditional
- is cousin to the color yellow and the color brown
- is associated with illumination, love, compassion, courage, passion, magic, and wisdom
- is a precious metal that is associated with wealth, grandeur, and prosperity, as well as sparkle, glitz, and glamour
- [gold] gemstones are believed to increase personal wisdom and power, aid in health and wellness, create success and prosperity, and illuminate the path toward your goal
Let’s just say that I am really happy with my room’s color scheme and wouldn’t have it any other way!
Combining those colors, to me, seemed like the most perfect idea ever. I wanted to make sure that my room truly was a safe space for me and not just a safe space because it was my bedroom. So, all of the colors I chose would not only represent positive, happy, and peaceful vibes, but would make my bedroom the ultimate safe space ever. And don’t get me wrong, I love my whole entire house, but I just needed to switch things up and make some changes, so that my room felt more cheery. Luckily, a lot of the pieces I found for my room were versatile, meaning that ‘x’ could be categorized as modern, but also categorized as preppy. This made sketching out my room and making the final vision board super easy and fun (and way less stressful)!
bright, simple, + “clean” look
- white bedding + pillows
- white x-legged desk | here
- white console table | here
- white nightstands | I forgot where I got these, but here are some similar nightstands:
soft pale pink
- the accent faux flowers | I got my flowers here on Dollar Tree’s website
- my diy ombré pink photo wall | diy post coming soon!
- the pink monograms | if you’re a local to St. Louis + want monograms done, let me know and I’ll give you my monogram lady’s info; she’s absolutely amazing!
- pink/white henna tapestry | this is above my personal altar/sacred space
- the pink decor pieces on my altar | more info here
words that describe preppy, would be classy · traditional · posh · neat · chic
- my diy-ed Lilly Pulitzer framed prints | diy post here!!
- my pink + white striped bed sheets | these sheets are similar to mine!
- my gold pineapple dish | here
- my silver pineapple dish | I found this at Dollar Tree, no joke! However, they no longer have silver ones, but they’re selling these iridescent pineapple dishes!
- my “be happy, be bright, be you” candle | here; from Dollar Tree!
- my monogrammed ghost chair
- my monogrammed acrylic desk set
- two white nightstands (that I had in my dorm room) | similar nightstands are posted above 😊
- my monogrammed lamp shades
- my monogrammed bedding + pillows
- my monogrammed clear trash can
- my huge black + white gingham monogram above my bed
modern + sophisticated
- the white console table | here
- faux fur rugs | here
- two ottomans under my console table/personal altar | I am replacing the ones I have with, I think, two of these:
- my bedding
- my bedskirt | here
acrylic (+ clear)
- acrylic knobs | here + I used this glue to glue them onto nightstands (NOT my desk)
- acrylic ghost chair | n/a; purchased this years ago and I forget where I got it, but it was super expensive, like $200+, but here’s a link to a cheaper one —
- acrylic desk set | had these made for my dorm room —
- clear trash can | here
- stacked glass ball lamps | here
- stacked glass ball floor lamp | here
- acrylic bookshelf | here
- clear acrylic over-the-door hooks | here
silver (+ gray)
- my upholstered wingback headboard | here
- silver/mirrored accent items —
- silver/mirrored 4×6 picture frame (on desk) | this frame is somewhat similar + super cute
- jeweled/rhinestone 4×6 frame (on console table) | this jeweled picture frame is similar to mine!
- the silver balloon dog | here + is from Dollar Tree, no joke!
- silver pineapple dish (on my desk) | no longer available, but look on amazon!
vintage + retro “boho chic”
- the vintage mustard yellow chair | I was so lucky to find two of these amazing chairs for SUPER cheap a while back and knew right away that I wanted them in my possession! Here are some similar chairs you should definitely look into if you like mine! —
- gold alarm clock | here
- gold picture frames | here + here
- my entire personal altar/sacred space | which you can read all about here!
- light pink (w/ a little white) henna tapestry | mine is no longer available, but this tapestry and this tapestry are very similar!
- pink glow-in-the-dark stars for my ceiling | here + are currently being shipped to me
items I still need:
- curtains | tbd
- valance | tbd
- light pink wall paint for my current coral-painted accent wall
Guys, I am honestly so in love with my room! Everything seems to go together so well and the vibe is so peaceful and positive, just like I wanted. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. And honestly, I’m pretty proud of myself for putting it all together 🙂
Also, I am currently redoing my bathroom, as well, and will be making an in-depth post about that as soon as all of my products come in! I am super excited that I get to show you all the amazing transformations of my room, closet (yes, stay tuned for this!), and bathroom.